In 1990 George Bush ignorantly said “I’m president of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli.” This pissed off many growers and provoked them to send 10 TONS of broccoli to the White House. Eat that, Bush!
Regardless of the stinky reputation, broccoli (another member of the Cruciferae family) has been declared as one of the top cancer fighting foods, particularly against lung, colon, and breast. In addition to high amounts of beta carotene and Vitamin C, broccoli helps lower cholesterol, makes our bones stronger, and protects against birth defects. SO if cancer is big in your family or if you’re preggers, EAT YOUR BROCCOLI!
Many nutritionist say to eat your broccoli raw or steamed, like most vegetables. Yes, it’s the most beneficial however it can be boring and that’s the last thing I want my food to represent.
Here is a CHEAP, SUPER HEALTHY & FLAVORFUL way to eat your broccoli….
WOK broccoli over brown rice with sesame ginger reduction:
- broccoli stems & flowers cut into bite sizes, tallos & flores de brócoli cortados
- cauliflower stems & flowers cut into bite sizes, tallos & flores de coliflor cortados
- cooked black beans, frijoles negros cocidos
- 1/2 onion cut in small dice, 1/2 cebolla daditos
- 3 cloves of minced garlic, 3 dientes de ajo picado
- brown rice, arroz integral
- fresh ginger peeled & minced, jengibre fresco pelado y picado
- soy sauce, salsa soya
- green onion, verdeo
- rice vinegar, vinagre de arroz
- sesame oil, aceite de sesamo
While the rice is cookin’ begin with the sesame ginger reduction. In a small cast iron over low heat heat the sesame oil and diced onion. Once they start to soften add 1 clove of minced garlic and the fresh ginger. Ginger is a very loud flavor, so use with caution. When the smell of ginger starts to fill the room add a big splash of soy sauce and deglaze the pan of any sucs. DON’T SEASON WITH SALT. Soy sauce is very salty and the fact that you’re reducing it will only make it stronger! Wait til the end and then decide if it’s necessary. Once the thickness is to your liking (7 minutes or so later) squeeze in some Sriracha and allow to infuse. Add a drop of rice vinegar to cut some of the soy and help bring the flavors together. Adjust seasoning if necessary and set aside.
The wok needs to be smokin’ hot so make sure the fuego is high. Add a couple tablespoons of sesame oil and allow to heat for a few seconds before adding the brócoli y coliflor. Once they’re in keep the veg moving to prevent any burning, toss toss toss. Add 2 cloves of garlic, black beans and a couple big spoonfuls of the sesame ginger reduction and continue to toss. Add a pinch of salt and another squeeze of Sriracha. Taste a larger piece of broccoli and see if it’s ready- should be bright green and have some crunch to it’s bite.
Place a scoop of brown rice in the center of the plate and top it with a big spoonful of WOK broccoli. Serve with a small bowl of sesame ginger reduction.
- Broccoli Side Notes:
- The darker the broccoli, the more nutritional value it has.
- Broccoli grows best in cooler climates, hence why it’s popping up in all the verdulerias!
- DON’T pre-wash broccoli, it will get limp and moldy.
- Wash broccoli under cool running water as opposed to submerging it, as it will loose water-soluble nutrients.
- Overcook broccoli smells funky and looses a significant amount of minerals & vitamins.